Sunday, July 20, 2008

New Direction

I have neglected this and it's not fair. I think I will take my diet blog in a new direction. I am attempting to go gluten-free since I suspect I either have an intolerance to it or I have celiac disease, which is actually in my family. My aunt has an 11cm tumor in her stomach from it so hearing that, I think I may go to the doctor and ask to be tested.

In avoiding gluten, I have to avoid wheat, rye, barley, oats and anything which contains even trace amounts of it. I also suspect other food allergies so I may have to do an elimination type diet to figure it out.

I have to lose weight. I got in the bad habit of snacking on chips since they are ok for me, taste good, are easy and comforting. Bad, bad habit. Also too much fat in general. I am eating less but it's more dense, high fat and protein foods. Need to stop that and get some balance! I need to eat more fresh food, raw foods, fermented foods, pro/prebiotic containing foods (like yogurt) which will help heal my gut.

I need to exercise or even just get up and move more. Since my accident earlier this year, I have really put off moving since it hurts my knee so much. Now my other knee is bothering me from over relying on it to do all my kneeling, which I do a lot of in the run of a day.

My weight is now at my known highest and hopefully finding and eliminating my problem foods will help, but I know that I have a lot of work that I need to do. I can't go on like this. I've done every diet known to man and the only one I have had success with is low carb. This will be similar but I will not entirely cut out sugar and starches, just the ones that are bad for me. I need fruit and it's nice to have potatoes and rice sometimes since strict low carb can get pretty expensive.

This will be a process, not a fad. It is not a diet, but a change in the way I eat which I need to be able to sustain for the rest of my life for health.

No comments:

Post a Comment