
I got a sweet deal today. I love spices and I have been trying to go organic (as much as I can; I live in a town where organic still seems to be rather on the underground of things). I've been trying to do it as cheaply as possible as money is always a concern with us.
Today at Sobeys they had all the Barbours Organic spices marked down to 79 cents plus 20% off (16 cents off) PLUS 5 airmiles when you buy two! Wow! I bought $15 worth of stuff and got 32 airmiles (I also got baby carrots, 2 bags of kettle chips, a couple of lemons and a piece of sticky toffee cheese, mmmm!). I got dried onion, granulated garlic, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, basil, parsley and some others I can't think of. The Barbour company is situated in New Brunswick, which is local as far as food miles go :). That is always a plus in my book!
Yesterday I FINALLY got Nourishing Traditions from the library. It kind of made me mad as I had it requested since summer and it had only been taken out once since then, returned by October 15th. They must of either kept renewing it or something. I skimmed through it and knew right away that this is a book I need to own! I have felt that way for a while but I needed it in my hands first to really know. I want my family to eat like this. I think I could even get away with occasionally eating things a little higher in carbs than I would normally permit myself on a low carb diet (like beans) because of the way they are prepared.
Pineapple is on sale tomorrow so I'm going to try making the pineapple vinegar then the corditio. Those have always interested me but I couldn't find the recipe online.
It is a much bigger book than I anticipated and it seems chaulk full of wonderful information. A point of contention I discovered last night is the books stance on chocolate as it forbids caffeine of any sort. Like all things, you take what works and ditch what doesn't. Vegetarians follow this, even though there is a heavy emphasis on meat. Low carbers follow it, even though there are a lot of carby things in there. Everybody and every body is different and we need to learn to become in tune with our bodies and what they need. The first place to start is getting the junk out! (this is where I whimper, lol! Junk, although nutritionally void, is yummy and hard to give up)
No comments:
Post a Comment