Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm Doing It!

I feel like a kid riding a bike again. I'm doing it, but flopping around in my efforts.

Monday I had enough. I was getting back on track. Never mind I was sick as a dog and I happened to start my period, bad combination. But I've been doing pretty good considering. I have eaten too many nuts. They are now gone so that temptation is gone. I am also recovering from one of the worst flus I've had in years. I really need to up my Vit. D and take my cod liver oil.

I am going to try hard to make this work. I need to. I am not getting any younger or thinner of my own accord. I have gained a lot of the weight back that I had lost when I was in my panic/OCD induced unable to eat frenzy. Fat and normal or thin and crazy. I'm shooting for just normal. I'm also not entirely low carb as I'm allowing some foods that are local and in season into my diet.

Food highlights of the week (so far):

A blade roast slowly cooked all day in the crockpot sitting on top of some onions and topped with Montreal steak seasoning. MMMMMMM!!!! It was soooooo good. I can't remember the last time I made a roast but it really has me yearning for a side of beef!

Farmer's market beef cooked with onions, garlic and made into a gravy with a tiny bit of cornstarch. I know that's not the low carbest but it was the yummiest! It was only $2.50 a pound with no fat but TONS of flavour (for comparison, grocery store lean is sometimes $1.99 a pound but usually $2.99/lbs but it still shrinks by half so most is going to waste. I am convinced they fill it with water to plump it up). I want more. I could envision things like the White Castle pie from Linda Sue's site or other things I can't think of at the moment because of my foggy brain. I am going to ask how much they charge for a side or quarter beef and if they offer ground beef in large quantities. I want to stock my freezer!

Cucumber Yogurt salad. This was really yummy. I simply made it by chopping up a peeled cuke, adding enough yogurt to coat and adding cut up garlic and sea salt to taste. I think next time I will whiz the garlic and yogurt and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It was cool, tangy and very good! It would be easy to play around with the spices to get different flavours.

Dry buttercup squash. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyy! So good. Although I abhor the microwave, it is the best way to make good dry squash when your crockpot is in user. I cut it in half, scoop out the innards, place it on a plate upside down over a little water and microwave 15 minutes for a good sized half (the whole was about 4lbs). Perfecto, especially drowning in butter. It is good with something sweet added, like brown sugar, maple syrup or honey, but I didn't.

Fresh blueberries. The kids and I picked 14lbs of blueberries a couple of weeks ago, but they mostly made their way to the freezer for winter use. MIL brought us an ice cream bucket full and they were so good to munch. Some were a little bitter so I added a touch of our raw honey and yum, yum, yum (if the berries are wet, you need very little honey to sweeten). I will probably dehydrate the rest.

Free food! I love free food! Also cheap food. My father's and my IL"s gardens are abound this year so we have tons of free sting beans for the freezer. I need to do some more down today. I also have cukes I plan to make into pickles. I may try to ferment some (they are 6/$1 at the market so even if not all free, cheap!).

I really love this time of the year. It is so full of fresh local food! I am almost dreading winter and the limited options (which cost more).

No comments:

Post a Comment