Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Crazy For Coconut!

I have to say the discovery of the humble coconut has made low carbing extremely easy this time around. First the discovery of the Red Velvet Cake, picture to the left (I stuck my camera in the freezer and took a pic, lol!). Then I made Egg McMuffins and last night I made Ice Cream. Oh help me, I'm in heaven!

I get organic coconut flour at Bulk Barn for $3.49/lbs. It sounds really pricey but you don't need a lot. I bought about a pound the first time and used it to make two red velvet cakes, a batch of the English Muffins and I have enough to make another recipe or two. I get my coconut milk at Superstore for 99 cents a can, full fat. I can get the lower fat one, and I do keep cans on hand, but full fat is better.

I wasn't as impressed with the english muffin for the McMuffin as I expected, but I think I added too many seasonings and I didn't make it in a ramekin; I just tried to form them into biscuits but they spread so they're thin (picture to the left). I am able to slice them and I even used one as a hamburger bun. They are very sturdy.

The ice cream, oh yum! They are included in the pic with the "english muffins". I made some modifications as I didn't want to crack open a second can of coconut milk for half a cup. I ended up using three unsweetened squares of bakers chocolate, one can coconut milk and about a cup of full fat yogurt. I don't keep alcohol on hand so I put lots of extra vanilla. I didn't make the chocolate chips because I couldn't find my coconut oil (I used butter in the ice cream). yes, my $10 jar of coconut oil must of grew legs and walked away as I tore the kitchen apart looking for it. I have some cheap stuff in the basement but the label is vague so I don't know if I can trust it as well as the good stuff (it was on super clearance for $1 at superstore). I made it last night and today it froze well, more solid around the outside of the dish, but still somewhat scoopable and so very yummy! I only needed a little to be satisfied and it made tons. I think it works out to be cheaper than regular ice cream, tons cheaper than the sugar-free kind. I may whirl it through the food processor to give it a more even texture but IMO, it is very, very good!

I am holding steady weighwise. I am still a pound away from losing 25lbs. I hate that I haven't really gone down in size but I'm noticing areas that are slimming. When I get closer to goal, I won't need to lose much to go down sizes. I'm more focused on health anyway; looking good is just a good side benefit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment