Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Amazing Soup

I love soup.  It is a good way to use up a lot of ingredients.  I don't think any two of my soups are ever the same and I love that.

My kids have really grown to love my homemade chicken noodle soup.  I think they know when I'm making a whole chicken, we'll probably be having soup the next day.

However, I am giving up the noodle.  I'm fine with it.  It's more for volume than anything, although the kids love slurping it up.  I just love soup, the chicken, the broth, the warmth that's so comforting on a cold winter's eve.

I made my broth as usual yesterday.  I put the carcass of the whole chicken we ate the day before in a big pot and used tons of garlic.  I have some really potent heirloom garlic I found for 49 cents a bag that is so good.  The only other season I used was Farmer John's Savory Sea Salt, a favourite in this house.  It is so good and pairs well with most meats.  It gives chicken noodle soup that distinct taste that makes it just right.  INGREDIENTS: SEA SALT, SAVORY, GARLIC, ONION, PEPPER.  Yum!!!

Picture of SEA62 Savory Sea Salt

Now, I knew how I was making soup for the kids, but what was I gonna have.  Mark is happy with whatever.

There was a quarter of a turnip left over, so I used the mandolin slicer to julienne that.  Then I added sliced red onion strips, half a green pepper (julienned) and julienned kohlrabi bulb.  This was another reduced rack find, four kohlrabi bulbs for a dollar and I only needed one.  It is very low in carbs.  I added some gluten free chicken meatballs I had and voila!  We had an amazing soup.


So chicken soup two different ways from one broth.  These are huge bowls, by the way.  Everyone loved it and we were STUFFED when we were done.  Best part, not counting the chicken carcass, this meal cost less than $2.50 and we had leftovers of both soups.  Whoo hoo!


I'm actually going through a really rough time right now.  Last night and this morning, I wanted to binge more than words can say.  I held strong.  I told myself what I already know. I AM Strong!  I can do anything.  I think people think I am a lot weaker than I am and to be honest, I have a lot of times I let myself be weak.  My food issues are one of the biggest.

But I prevailed.  I ate a handful of peanuts.  I tried to eat them slowly to enjoy them, but I just wanted to throw a lot of something (food) in my mouth.  I then tied up the bag and put it away.  I won that battle!

 There will be many more battles to come, especially in the upcoming days.  I don't wish to share the personal nature of my issues but I am fine.  I have learned a lot over the past few years about not internalizing things I don't need to.  I'm not perfect but I can look at what would have been situations I would have lost my mind in in the past and be calm and rational (somewhat).  I am strong.  I am capable.

So today, this is my food plan:

Breakfast: Black coffee, 3 fried eggs \
Lunch: 2 small slices of ham, green beans, sauerkraut, a few peanuts
Snack: large coffee, two creams, half bag of pork rinds (ugh, terrible idea but they were soooo good!!)
Supper: 2 hot dogs, mayo, leafy greens

If I could believe my scale, I'm down 10lbs from last Thursday, but I don't think it's true.  It would be nice.  Even if I lose a few pounds this week, I'll be thrilled.  I lost 3.75lbs last week at TOPS without even trying or exercising.  This week I'm putting effort into it and doing a lot of heavy cleaning so...we'll see.  I don't want to get hung up on the scale.  It's just numbers that show progress.  I want to see the progress on my body, which doesn't always correspond with the scale.  My whooshes are I'll suddenly be down a size or a few inches.  That's what I look forward to :)

No comments:

Post a Comment