Monday, January 18, 2016

Like Riding a Bike

Well, without meaning to, I started to low carb again.  Low carb-ish, I guess.  I was remembering how much I enjoyed it while reading some old posts and thought, hey, why not.  It has always worked.  I am my own worst enemy but maybe this time will be it.  I've done this so many times it's like riding a bike.

 I was planning to go Paleo a while back, but it just never happened.  Food prices are my biggest deterrent but you know, I will manage some how.

Right now it's a big deal that cauliflower is around $8 a head now for conventional.  It's on sale this week 2/$5 at one store but they're out (I must remember to get a rain cheque!).  The frozen bags are often 2/$5 and you don't have waste but there is something about fresh cauliflower that's so good.

Meat prices have become absurd.  I used to pay 99 cents a pound for regular ground beef, which you can't even buy any more.  Now it goes on sale for $5 a pound for lean.  We don't eat beef much, mainly pork and chicken.  I buy when they are around the date and I can sometimes find what I"m looking for at around $1.99 a pound.  Fortunately I have a stash of meat in the freezer I will be able to dip into.

So yesterday I had pumpkin curry soup for lunch.  For supper we had crockpot chicken, turnip, I had a spoon of corn and 1/4 cup of stuffing (not low carb, but I wasn't thinking of that at the time).  After supper I had a banana muffin we made with red fife flour. (again, not thinking low carb).   I don't think I had breakfast, to be honest.

Today, I only had coffee and some seaweed for breakfast.  Lunch was three eggs and I am making chicken soup for supper.   I cooked two heads of cauliflower I bought last week that I was going to make into pizza crusts, but they are in the fridge, draining, for now.  I was just feeling lazy at lunchtime when everyone else had calzones.  I didn't even want them, I was happy with eggs.  Oh, and I also had about 10 peanuts.

Like I said, I'm not going to be perfect.  I'm mostly just trying to get the processed foods out of my life.  I want to eat in a way that I can live with.  I am not going to be hard on myself and I don't want to get crazy with substitution recipes.  If I want something, I'll deal with it at the time.  It may be that I don't eat it, it may be that I do.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

One thing I am really trying is not eating after 8pm.  That is very rewarding because when 8pm hits, I know I am not eating anything else for that day.  I can have water and herbal tea, but no food.  I am tempted, oh yeah, so tempted, but it is not impossible.

So I'm taking it one day at a time.  I am tired of how sick the flours and sugars are making me feel.  Fat is where it's at, just not on my body, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment