Boy I can say this, I sure have been hungry these last two days!! I just can't seem to feel satiated. I've eaten so many eggs I'm sure I'll turn into a chicken, lol! I've been doing pretty good except I ate chocolate today and I was trying to avoid it. It has been stress city with DD being sick as a dog. I don't know if it's something she ate or a stomach bug; at first I thought it was the former as she had supper at a friends house last night. Kraft dinner and bologna. I'm not condemning those foods as we have them here.
However I got to thinking how people think that is such a cheap meal but really it isn't. KD goes on sale here for no less than 99 cents a box, I think you can still get the cheap tastes-like-cardboard crap at the dollar store two for a dollar and the store "non-name" occasionally goes on sale between 50 cents to 80 cents a box. It's not that cheap anymore. And bologna is usually $1.99 a pound, very rarely 99 cents a pound (the kind I get with lowest carbs I snatch up at $1.79 a pound as it's usually about $2.99 a pound). So if you figure about $2 for bologna and about $2 for enough kraft dinner for 4 people, that's about $4, not including milk/butter to make it.
Tonight for supper I made a $4 chicken in the crockpot, we had a 50 cent can of string beans, plus I cooked about 25 cents worth of rice for the family which left enough to make a big pot of rice pudding for about 50 cents-$1 more. Plus there was at least half a chicken left and I made a quart of stock from the bones, a bay leaf and couple cloves of garlic (like 5 cents). So there is enough food for two meals and some snacks/desserts for a couple of days for just over $5.
Yes, I'm sometimes crazy and analyze food like that, lol! I like breaking it down so I can see that just because we're eating better doesn't mean we have to spend more. Some meals will cost more, like the lobsters we had for lunch, but those were a treat from my father so free to us, and OH! so good!!! I could eat lobster all the time.
So I'm committed to seeing this through. It was tempting to eat the rice pudding I made but I didn't other than a tiny taste the size of a grain of rice to make sure it was good (it was). I know that it's not worth it to eat things I should not have. It can lead down dark and ugly paths. Ones I don't want to keep going back and forth on.
No comments:
Post a Comment