I wanted to make a cake that we could all enjoy for DH's birthday. I came across this recipe: http://www.elanaspantry.com/a-new-german-chocolate-cake/ and got excited. I could easily adapt it to what I wanted since I don't have or use agave. It also kind of morphed as I made it.
My original plan was a 9x13 base cake with a small snowman cake on top. However, the snowman was rounded and I didn't want to cut it. Plus after I thought how expensive the ingredients were racking up at that point, I thought I would freeze the snowman cake for me to have when I later made them a cake around Christmas. Oh, and it just didn't look right ;)
I also had to make a batch of the cupcake recipe I posted the other day to make enough. This recipe plus Elana's was enough for a 9x13 cake, a snowman cake a little smaller than 9x13, 3 mini cupcakes so the kids and I could each have a taste after they were done baking and a regular sized cupcake that I planned to bring to the IL's house last night, but forgot. So it made a lot of cake! The layer cake alone would easily serve 12 big portions, even for people who really like cake!
Without further ado, German Chocolate Cake, the way I made it:
Low Carb/Gluten Free German Chocolate Cake
1 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
13 eggs
1.25 cup oil (I used half peanut and half vegetable)
1 ½ cups sweetener (I used 0.5 cup xylitol, 0.5 cup splenda, o.5 cup blend of honey and maple syrup. I also added some liquid stevia to taste. With chocolate, I find a blend of flavors makes a richer taste when baking low carb)
2-3 tablespoon vanilla (love it :o )
In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, blend remaining ingredients.
Add dry ingredients into large bowl and stir together.
Oil your pans and dust with coconut flour or cocoa.
Pour batter into pans and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes (or until done, top springs back if you press it; my oven is often unreliable so I have to check a lot towards the end).
Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pans.
I didn't make the chocolate frosting and what I did make was too runny so it has to be kept in the freezer (it would of been perfect for ice cream!). I didn't have arrowroot powder so I tried using a little cornstarch because I forgot I had xantham gum until I started writing this. You may want to follow the original for better results, but here is what I did:
Coconut Pecan Frosting
Bring 1 can of coconut milk mixed with 1 cup of sweetener and a pinch of salt to a gentle simmer. Mix together 5 tsp starch with enough water to make a paste.
Stir into simmering milk mix; remove from heat.
Add 1 cup of butter or coconut oil, stirring until it is all melted and combined.
Place in freezer until it solidifies.
Remove from freezer and add 1.5 cups each pecan meal or pecan pieces and unsweetened shredded coconut as well as a healthy splash of vanilla and blend with a hand mixer until fluffy and well combined.
Use to frost cake.
I cut the 9x13 cake in half and made it as a layer cake. I could of added a thicker layer of frosting in the middle but, ummmm, it was really good :0. Like I said, it would of made a nice ice cream and I enjoyed tasting it.
This whole recipe was so good! I highly recommend it. You can also easily adapt what you coat it with. I was thinking whipped cream would be nice or a cream cheese frosting. Mmmmmm! You could even make low carb/gluten free Cake Balls out of the base cake! Your imagination is your only limitation!
1 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
13 eggs
1.25 cup oil (I used half peanut and half vegetable)
1 ½ cups sweetener (I used 0.5 cup xylitol, 0.5 cup splenda, o.5 cup blend of honey and maple syrup. I also added some liquid stevia to taste. With chocolate, I find a blend of flavors makes a richer taste when baking low carb)
2-3 tablespoon vanilla (love it :o )
In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, blend remaining ingredients.
Add dry ingredients into large bowl and stir together.
Oil your pans and dust with coconut flour or cocoa.
Pour batter into pans and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes (or until done, top springs back if you press it; my oven is often unreliable so I have to check a lot towards the end).
Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from pans.
I didn't make the chocolate frosting and what I did make was too runny so it has to be kept in the freezer (it would of been perfect for ice cream!). I didn't have arrowroot powder so I tried using a little cornstarch because I forgot I had xantham gum until I started writing this. You may want to follow the original for better results, but here is what I did:
Coconut Pecan Frosting
Bring 1 can of coconut milk mixed with 1 cup of sweetener and a pinch of salt to a gentle simmer. Mix together 5 tsp starch with enough water to make a paste.
Stir into simmering milk mix; remove from heat.
Add 1 cup of butter or coconut oil, stirring until it is all melted and combined.
Place in freezer until it solidifies.
Remove from freezer and add 1.5 cups each pecan meal or pecan pieces and unsweetened shredded coconut as well as a healthy splash of vanilla and blend with a hand mixer until fluffy and well combined.
Use to frost cake.
I cut the 9x13 cake in half and made it as a layer cake. I could of added a thicker layer of frosting in the middle but, ummmm, it was really good :0. Like I said, it would of made a nice ice cream and I enjoyed tasting it.
This whole recipe was so good! I highly recommend it. You can also easily adapt what you coat it with. I was thinking whipped cream would be nice or a cream cheese frosting. Mmmmmm! You could even make low carb/gluten free Cake Balls out of the base cake! Your imagination is your only limitation!
No comments:
Post a Comment